(Professional Brewing Required)
Highland Brewing Company is seeking an experienced, professional Brewer to join the brewhouse team in our exciting hill-top brewery, event center and meadow complex.
Highland Brewing Company is a growing and dynamic craft brewer in Asheville, NC. From our humble beginnings as Asheville’s first legal brewery after Prohibition, to our 21st Anniversary as Asheville’s premier craft brewer, we have always focused on quality, respect and integrity. We offer a fun work environment to other science-and-art-minded individuals who love great beer.
If you meet the following qualifications and are capable of working in a fast paced, artisanal and challenging environment, we would welcome the opportunity to review your resume. Please send cover letter, salary requirements and resume to Careers@HighlandBrewing.com.
Job Title: Shift Brewer
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports to: Head Brewer
Responsible for producing high-quality wort according to set standards, performing basic cellar tasks, sterile sampling, and laboratory analysis of yeast.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Produces quality wort according to Highland specifications including, but not limited to, target gravity, IBU, color, and volume
* Keeps brewhouse vessels clean inside and out
* Maintains a safe, clean, and organized workspace
* Communicates all pertinent batch related information at shift changeover
* Cleans and sanitizes tanks, hoses, and fittings
* Sets up hoses and fittings for the day’s brew
* Collects yeast for pitching and alerts cellar person when to drop yeast
* Tracks yeast availability and viability to determine best potential pitch sources
* Receives raw materials, rotates stock, and takes inventories
* Alerts Head Brewer when inventory levels are
* Monitors and records batch performance
* Monitors raw material quality and performance
* Completes required paperwork accurately and in a timely manner
* Follows safety procedures and wears PPE
* Performs other duties as assigned
* High-school diploma
* Some college classes required with an emphasis on natural sciences
* Associates degree in Brewing Science from a professional brewing school, preferred
* Three years of professional brewing experience in an 8,000 barrel or larger facility
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Understanding of fermentation science and the elements of brewing
* Understanding of brewing practices
* Ability to install, maintain and modify most mechanical components of the brewhouse, fermentation, conditioning and filtration systems
* Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems related to product and/or equipment
* Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
* Ability to work well under pressure
* Ability to maintain confidentiality of recipes, processes, procedures, and other internal information
* Ability to work first, second or third shifts, as needed
* Ability to stand for long periods of time and do physically demanding work is required.
* Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is required.
* Willingness to work on and around potentially dangerous equipment/machinery is required.
* Willingness to work in an environment with high noise levels is required.
* Willingness to occasionally work events on weekends